Meldsys was inaugurated in 2020 in response to a need for on-line educational training, due to the outbreak of the coronavirus COVID-19. It aims to offer a range of educational training and services to support the needs of institutions, teachers, practitioners and parents.
Maria Kay is the founding educationalist of Meldsys, with over 40 years’ experience across all sectors – pre-school to university. Originally a business teacher, she has held managerial posts in schools, FE, government departments and exam boards and has been an educational consultant and advisor.
Maria is the founder of ‘Sounds and Symbols’, a literacy-through-music programme for early years’ children, Director of Bryant and Kay Publishing and author of ‘Sound Before Symbol: Developing Literacy through Music’, published by SAGE, TACTYC – academic paper, the ‘Sounds and Symbols Literacy-through-Music Resource Pack for Early Years Practitioners’ and several children’s books. She is also a regular contributor to Teach Early Years and Early Years Educator magazines and a Superjudge for the BBC Radio 2’s ‘500 Words’ children’s annual story writing competition. For a comprehensive list of Maria’s publications, click here.
Maria has been developing and delivering training for teachers and parents since 1997. Her aim is to keep teacher and parents informed of evidence-based educational practices that work, based on the latest research findings. She helps teachers to improve their practice and has a special interest in promoting the secure establishment of children’s literacy foundations by supporting parents and all those involved in early years provision.
Here is a selection of feedback from some of her training:
- Thank you for your guidance and expertise. I believe you have helped me become a better Director. – Christina Maldonado-Marzullo – Director
- Maria Kay has provided excellent training, academic advice, support and guidance for our early years setting. – Brooke Lake – Director
- Provision of effective initial training by Maria Kay was a critical catalyst for further training and teacher improvement throughout the year. The training was put into practice; teacher confidence increased and subsequently student performance. – Debra Susens – HoD
- After training with Ms Maria this year, our teachers have grown significantly in their professional conduct and are much more effective in the classroom. She brings a wide range of expertise and experience to her sessions. – Kym Godwin – Director
- The workshop was very enjoyable and useful. Maria modelled how a good lesson should be. Five stars out of five! – Teacher
- Very engaging and informative – useful strategies for the classroom. – Teacher
- Very helpful (especially being a volunteer/parent); great mix of doing, reading, listening, talking – kept us engaged. – Parent/volunteer
- Extremely helpful. – Teaching Assistant
Please follow Sounds and Symbols and Bryant and Kay Publishing on Facebook for up-to-date information on webinars.
Wishing you a warm welcome to Meldsys and entry to a wealth of educational opportunity.